LOOK: Surprising Stats and Facts - St. Patrick's Day 2017 By the Numbers
By Joe Hyer
St. Patrick's Day is almost here, and of course, Americans are going to be consuming an insane amount of food and alcohol to celebrate the holiday. We've broken down some of the most surprising statistics about this week's big holiday.
We have divided up our list of statistics by celebrations, by how it hits your wallet and by how the holiday is going to be celebrated across the country.
- 56.1% of Americans say they plan to celebrate the holiday somehow.
- The holiday ranks 4th on the list of biggest drinking holidays (behind New Year's Eve, Christmas and the Fourth of July).
- 13 million pints of Guinness will be consumed worldwide on St. Patrick's Day.
- 36% of those with a St. Patty's hangover say they'll eat pizza on Saturday morning to recover from their hangover.
- FACT: Irish stout is the beer of choice for those drinking on St. Patrick's Day.
- $5.3 billion will be spent on the holiday across the country.
- The average party-goer will personally spend $38 on their celebrations.
- FACT: A majority of Americans will wear green on Friday to celebrate the holiday.
- It takes 45 pounds of vegetable-based green dye to turn the Chicago River green.
- The dye will keep the Chicago River green for about 5 hours.
- There are 16 cities in the United States that are named Dublin.
- FACT: Buffalo (not Boston as many would suspect) was named the best American city to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.
Of course, there are tons of serious statistics about drinking and driving on St. Patrick's Day. Whatever you do for the holiday, make sure you're celebrating the holiday safely. Don't drink and drive!